Master violin by Karl Brandner, 1961

In 1961, master luthier Karl Brandner produced this lovely instrument in the Franconian town of Bubenreuth. Its carefully executed details clearly demonstrate that it is the work of a true artist. Like many Bubenreuth masters from his guild, Brandner originally hailed from the northern Bohemian town of Schönbach, (now Luby, Czech Republic) and was forced to emigrate after World War II. The atelier he re-founded in 1953...

In 1961, master luthier Karl Brandner produced this lovely instrument in the Franconian town of Bubenreuth. Its carefully executed details clearly demonstrate that it is the work of a true artist. Like many Bubenreuth masters from his guild, Brandner originally hailed from the northern Bohemian town of Schönbach, (now Luby, Czech Republic) and was forced to emigrate after World War II. The atelier he re-founded in 1953 established a good name for itself primarily through gambas and simpler fiddles, which is why modern Brandner instruments such as this violin are comparatively rare. Its delicate purfling was done with the greatest precision, and the meticulously crafted peg box and gentle fluting reflect the skill of an experienced hand. The rich coat of luminously golden-orange oil varnish is transparent, allowing the beautiful grain of the spruce top and two-part back of strongly flamed maple to shine through. The violin is in top condition and free of cracks, and its only flaw is a minor blemish in the varnish on the top. After having been carefully set up by the specialists at our studio, we now offer the instrument ready to play, and we warmly recommend its radiantly bright, large and brilliant sound.

Karl Brandner, Bubenreuth, Meistergeige 1961 - Decke
Boden
Zargen
Schnecke
Fig. |