Search:
corilon violins

Search

Information archive

More detailed information about stringed instruments and the history of violin making.

Enter archive

corilon violins

Other families of Klingenthal violin makers

The tradition of the large Hopf family has become synonymous with the art of violin making in Klingenthal, but from the very beginning the town's history was also honoured and carried forward by other significant dynasties of violin makers as well. This page briefly presents three other families, while other points of reference can be found in the PDF file of our overview (which is certainly not complete) of Klingenthal violin makers (approx. 140 KB).


Dörffel
The Dörffel family was among the Bohemian immigrants who established Klingenthal violin making. Whereas Caspar Hopf was assumed to be the first violin making master in his family, at least two other Dörffel relatives – Johann Georg (the first) and Michael – pursued their art in Graslitz (Kraslice, Czech Republic). Johann Andreas Dörffel, who was active in the first half of the 18th century, is ranked among the finest violin makers in Klingenthal. His instruments can be found in numerous collections.

Glass
Documents confirm that the Glass family of violin makers lived in Klingenthal from the 18th century onward. Their instruments earned a solid reputation which at times even approached the ranks of the legendary Hopf violins. Many members of the family worked outside Klingenthal and became ambassadors of the art of Vogtland violin making, on an international level as well. In the late 18th century, Christian Friedrich Glass began making bows in Klingenthal.

Meisel
In some regards, the Meisels, the great family of instrument makers, represented the process of Klingenthal violin making opening to new influences. Starting in the late 18th century, important members of the family broke with the distinctively Vogtland-based Hopf tradition and began to imitate Italian models. These craftsmen included Amand Meisel (1828-1893), who became an internationally renowned master and settled in Silesia in the mid-19th century. Johann Christian Friedrich Meisel (d. 1803) first produced strings in Klingenthal.

Next chapter: The end of violin making in Klingenthal

 

Related articles in our information archive:

 

Introductions:

Markneukirchen: violin making in “German Cremona”

Klingenthal: the origin of violin making

Crossing borders: on the history of violin making in western Bohemia

 

Biographies and company histories:

H. R. Pfretzschner

Hopf: a dynasty of Vogtland violin makers

Ernst Heinrich Roth: a rediscovered master

The bow makers of Markneukirchen

Noteworthy families of Markneukirchen violin makers

 

Helpful links:

 
In our online catalog you can find selected masterpieces of the art of violin making and bow making from Saxony and other regions.


©Corilon violins

New arrivals in our catalogue:
  • Antique ornate violin with a lion´s head
  • 3/4 - sized violin by Leopold Mitsching, a rarity
  • 1/2 - charming red French Mansuy violin
  • H. Emile Blondelet, French violin, 1923
  • Brilliant violin from Saxony, for young soloists
  • Excellent Markneukirchen violin bow
  • German Violin, Stradivarius copy, by Meinel & Herold
  • Fine French violin, model "Andreas Borelli"
  • Antique violin, 1920's, Markneukirchen
  • Johann Gottfried Hamm, master violin from the Vogtland region, c. 1780
  • Old German violin after J.B. Schweitzer
  • German violin after Guarneri, approx. 1880
  • Student violin by Meinel & Herold, Klingenthal
  • Petite Italian violin, late 18th century
  • 3/4 - French violin by H. Blaise
  • Saxon violin after J. Stainer, exceptionally attractive
  • 3/4 - French 3/4 violin of sound
  • German violin from Markneukirchen, Hermann Dölling jun.
  • Cremonese violin, Romedio Muncher
  • Justin Maucotel: A splendid French violin
  • Old English violin, C.S. Thirlby, 1907
  • Fine Italian violin, Giovanni Schwarz, Venice (certificate Eric Blot)
  • Baroque viola c1800, from Mittenwald in outstanding original condition
  • Master violin from southern Germany, circa 1820