Sold

3/4 violin by A. Lutz & Co., Vienna

This attractive 3/4-sized violin was built approx. 1880 in Vienna and is an example of flawless craftsmanship by the workshop A. Lutz & Co. This family business was under the leadership of Anton Lutz, a violin maker from the Bohemian town of Schönbach near Eger, who had been thoroughly educated in the successful workshops of this famous violin making region. The violin offered here features a...

This attractive 3/4-sized violin was built approx. 1880 in Vienna and is an example of flawless craftsmanship by the workshop A. Lutz & Co. This family business was under the leadership of Anton Lutz, a violin maker from the Bohemian town of Schönbach near Eger, who had been thoroughly educated in the successful workshops of this famous violin making region. The violin offered here features a convincingly crafted purfling that extends finely into the edges. The expressively carved scroll seems to be influenced by traditional models from Mittenwald. The spectacularly flamed two-piece maple back features a surprisingly flat arching, while the regularly grained spruce top is medium high, decorated by a shining, golden-orange-brown colored varnish. This nice violin is preserved in undamaged condition and was made ready to play by our luthiers, with a bright and open sound.

Inventory no.
2486
Maker
A Lutz & Co
Provenance
Vienna
Tone
bright, open
Weight
33.1 cm
A. Lutz & Co., Vienna, 3/4 violin approx. 1880 - top
violin back of exceptionally flamed maple
ribs
scroll
Fig. |