For around 100 years, J.T.L. / Jérôme Thibouville-Lamy was one of the largest sources of instrument in Europe and was uncontested as the leading name in the French traditional violin making town of Mirecourt. Founded in the mid-19th century when several successful workshops began formally collaborating, the historical relevance of J.T.L. is not only due to its entrepreneurial success and the high standards of its products, but also due to its role as an incubator where generations of excellent master luthiers were raised. J.T.L., one of the most influential brands from the golden era of instrument making in the French village of Mirecourt, was founded in 1861 after two well-established family businesses joined forces. When Louis Emile Jérôme Thibouville and Marguerite Hyacinthe Lamy married, Thibouville’s work with Charles Buthod and Charles-Claude Husson came to attain the profile under which their jointly-run business J. T. L. earned international stature and went on to shape European instrument making for a century.